Help installing HP 2000 contributed library in simh

J. David Bryan jdbryan at acm.org
Wed Apr 8 22:47:28 CDT 2020

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 13:42, David Williams via cctalk wrote:

> I have some old tapes from my Honeywell 66/60 GCOS days that I
> sometimes wonder if I could still get dumped.

A number of folks have 800 NRZI/1600 PE/6250 GCR 1.2-inch tape drives
connected to PCs via SCSI interfaces that can be used to copy physical
tapes to SIMH tape images.  You might ask on this list to see if someone in
your area can accommodate you.

> Ah SNOBOL... I discovered that language shortly before graduating HS
> and always wanted to play around with it but never had an instillation
> where I could.

The HP Orsay (not Grenoble, as I misremembered) implementation is the only
SNOBOL3 implementation I've used.  There's a free SNOBOL4 implementation
here for various PC operating systems:

  https://github.com/spitbol/

Actually, it's a SPITBOL implementation, which is a compiled version of
SNOBOL4; see:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPITBOL

I've used the Windows NT version for years; it's still my preferred
language for string manipulation.  Note that SNOBOL3 and SNOBOL4 are
different syntactically, though learning one certainly would aid in
learning the other.

> ALGOL as well. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check some of that out
> too.

If you're not necessarily wedded to the HP 21xx/1000 architecture, the HP
3000 simulator and its associated MPE operating system kit from the SIMH/HP
site has a number of languages preinstalled:

  - BASIC (interpreter and compiler)
  - COBOL 68
  - COBOL 74/85
  - FORTRAN 66
  - Pascal
  - RPG
  - SPL

The latter is HP's proprietary Systems Programming Language, an ALGOL-like
derivative used in lieu of assembler to implement MPE and most of the
compilers and utilities.

                                      -- Dave