VAXmate PSU

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 01:41:36 CDT 2020

Den ons 8 apr. 2020 kl 00:34 skrev Rob Jarratt via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org>:

> [...]

I am not going to debate this either since I know what I have been doing
for years and it works perfectly well for me. I have fixed the bigger PSUs
in a VAX 11/750 (one broken switch transistor and multiple broken output
rectifiers). PSU in NORD-10/S (most carbon composition resistors had gone
out of spec). PSUs in many smaller machines as well.

I prefer to work in circuits where I can fiddle around without the danger
of getting killed all the time. Regardless of use of HV differential probe
it can be dangerous. Running it on 50VAC with a protection transformer do
expose a lot of problems already and you can poke around safely in the PSU.
I have not yet seen a problem that wasn't seen at low voltage, but I expect
there could be semiconductors that experience breakdown that occur at lower
than specified voltage.

> However, my
> measurements appear to suggest that when I use the variac the SCR triggers
> because of what appears to be a genuine overcurrent detected by R13. I
> think
> this is because the duty cycle at low AC input voltages is 50% (rather than
> about 10% or less as per the trace I have just taken), and I measured 2V
> across R13, which does seem to be enough to trigger the SCR. When I use
> 220VAC, the voltage across R13 does rise to 6V, which should also trigger
> the SCR I think, except that the peak last a lot less and so perhaps the
> fact that the 6V last for a brief period is insufficient to trigger it?

On the issue of duty cycle. If we look at this from the start up
perspective rather than the steady state perspective. At startup there are
no stored energy in the output filter capacitors. The voltage on the output
is thus 0. As soon as the PSU is doing its first switching pulse energy is
transfered as the main switch transistor is cutting off. The energy is
transfered into the capacitor and into the load. The voltage is starting to
increase.

The duty cycle generated by the PWM circuitry is in pure relation to the
voltage error, i.e. the difference between output voltage and reference
voltage. In essence it is a P-regulator.

When there are 0 Volt out the duty cycle will be at the maximum. Nothing
strange about that. But what is maximum duty cycle? It depends on the
circuitry used. The UC3842 can do up to almost 100% duty cycle. However it
may be wise to limit duty cycle in a flyback design so that the transformer
is not saturated. I am not sure if there is some kind of duty cycle
limitation in this circuit though.

So if it can handle 50% duty cycle at startup it should be able to handle
it at any time. Besides it would be incredible weird to design a circuit to
use a 10% duty cycle at its standard operating point and detecting over
current at 50%. Then you have much less head room for load and input
variations.

I am more or less convinced that what you see on the primary side is a
result of some kind of fault on the secondary side.
A very common problem is short-circuit rectifier diodes on the secondary
side (D12, D11, D21, D22, D23, D24). They can be difficult to measure
correctly in circuit since the resistance of the secondaries of the
transformer is so low. Depending on type you can either desolder them
completely or just lift one end of them.

My experience is that electrolytic capacitors seldom short circuit. They
probably boil and explode instead. Tantalum capacitors often short circuit.
Some of them goes into fire other just stay short circuit. So check for
tantalum capacitors and try to measure them for short circuit.

You have a crowbar on the secondary side. Are you sure that one hasn't
triggered? If you still run on variac you can disable the crowbar circuit
by removing the SCR and ramp up the voltage slowly to see if that makes any
difference.

Breaking the feed back loop:

R23 seems to be in the feedback path. If you lift it and insert a voltage
from a lab supply here you could simulate the output voltage and study the
behaviour of the UC3842 for different feed back voltages. You will see that
it will stay on max duty cycle up until close to the nominal voltage and
over a very small span change to almost no pulse out at all. This is due to
the gain of the circuit.

/Mattis