State of New Jersey needs COBOL programmers

Brent Hilpert bhilpert at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 6 12:11:49 CDT 2020

Here in Canada, ongoing for several years now, we've had the major fiasco of the Phoenix payroll system.
I've never heard an accounting of where the fault lies, or why IBM isn't being held more accountable.
A brief summary from Wikipedia:

The Phoenix pay system is a payroll processing system for Canadian federal government employees, provided by IBM in June 2011 using PeopleSoft software, and run by Public Services and Procurement Canada.
... first introduced in 2009 .. intended to replace Canada's 40-year old system with a new, cost-saving "automated, off-the-shelf commercial system."
By July 2018, Phoenix has caused pay problems to close to 80 percent of the federal government's 290,000 public servants through underpayments, over-payments, and non-payments.
The Standing Senate Committee .. investigated .. and submitted their report, "The Phoenix Pay Problem: Working Towards a Solution" on July 31, 2018, in which they called Phoenix a failure and an "international embarrassment"
Instead of saving $70 million a year as planned, the report said that the cost to taxpayers to fix Phoenix's problems could reach a total of $2.2 billion by 2023.