State of New Jersey needs COBOL programmers

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Sun Apr 5 15:13:53 CDT 2020

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Stefan Skoglund wrote:
> To be fair, in this case updating your software means:
>
> throw out the baby with the water
> build a completely new IT infrastructure with everything
> and expect things to work badly the next 5-8 years....
> long enough to hinder/(be a millstone around) the governor's re-
> election campagin
>
> and then in 15 years, be prepared to redo....
>
> Pundits like this steinberg is right and wrong - they doesn't
> acknowledge how expensive new fangled information technology is.

I notice that he is one who equates changing/updating software with
security.

If a project is needed, and takes a long time, taking a long time is not a
good reason to avoid getting started.

Napoleon ordered planting of a lot of trees.  I'm told that one of his
officers didn't want to get around to it, because they would take a long
time to grow; Napoleon said that that was a good reason to do it
immediately.
(No, I can't find the quote)