Identifying Machine for DEC Memory

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 1 13:24:36 CDT 2020

VLC.
> > It turns out that it isn't. It physically fits a VAXstation 4000 Model
> > 60, but putting it in that machine the machine fails to power up. The
> > part number is 50-19464-02, and I am unable to identify what machine it
> works in.
> > Can anyone tell me where to find out?
> >
> Is it possible the board is defective?  Does it have tantalum capacitors?
A VERY
> well-known failure mechanism of these is that they will work fine for
years, but
> if left unpowered for about two years, they will fail to a shorted
condition when
> powered on again.
>
> In surface mount style, they will be little yellowish blocks with a bar
engraved
> or printed on one end.
> Locating the one or two bad ones is an exercise in major frustration!

It is entirely possible that they are defective. I tried using a DMM to
measure the resistance across each of the capacitors. None showed a short,
but it could be that I am unable to establish proper contact. I noticed some
suggestions that they may be for a DECstation, I will dig mine out and see
if they work there.

Thanks

Rob