Tandem Minicomputers

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Sep 30 10:57:25 CDT 2019

On 09/29/2019 11:46 PM, Jason T via cctalk wrote:
> Well I said no more computers I can't lift, but exotic systems keep
> finding me.  So today we pulled a Tandem CLX out of a basement, along
> with a few boxes of docs, 9-track tapes and random odd and ends:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/m2N7RKN3JXcmVTUC8
>
> There's such as thing as "so obscure that no one knows/cares about
> it".  I've had those before.  Do I have another?  It sure is heavy.
>
> -j

Tandem was hot stuff back in the 1980's.  These appear to be
the last gasp of their technology.
Once you had fast networking between processors, the whole
Tandem concept became pretty easy to do on a few ordinary
processors, without special hardware.  So, their whole
reason for being became moot.

Jon