HP vintage boards being sold as scrap

Guy Dunphy guykd at optusnet.com.au
Fri Sep 27 21:43:36 CDT 2019

At 05:42 PM 27/09/2019 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sep 26, 2019, at 7:24 AM, Patrick Finnegan via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>>
>> 3. Just because you have different opinions doesn't mean their ways are
>> wrong. Hell, they even seem to be willing to work with people interested in
>> single boards. I'm sure they're putting "GOLD!!!" in the title for
>> advertising's sake. It seems to have worked just fine for advertising here
>> ..
>>
>> 4. Maybe just quit whining? If you can't get what you want where you are,
>> to quote the immortal words of Dave McGuire, "Time to move!”
>

>Destroying something that’s useful in the name of a quick buck is wrong.
>
>  -- Chris

Thanks Cris. This is my view too, but I didn't want to get into _another_ argument about that.

I've been browsing that seller's other listings. I can see where they are coming from.
They are a very high volume surplus electronics seller. Quite a bit overpriced on many items
but there are some nice deals. I think they just don't have time to give much attention to
individual items. Which is unfortunate for interested parties. Like in this "90 lbs PCBs" instance.

Here are some other vintage computing items of interest from that seller:

183963257634  Lot x22 NEW Vintage HP 46021A HP-HIL Terminal Keyboards Don't Include HIL Cables
                OH MY GOSH! It took me forever just to find one HP-HIL keyboard recently.
                But offering these vintage NOS keyboards as a lot of 22... that's a bit sad.
                Seller must be short of storage space.
174036823643  Lot x50 Vintage HP 82936A 80 Series 85A 85B 86A 86B ROM Drawer Holder No ROMs
183875053275  Vintage HP 12005-60010 Asynchronous Serial Interface Board 1000 Series Computer

Back to the stack of circuit boards:
The original bidder's offer is something higher than $150, so Cindy's bid got auto-bid beaten.
Looking at that original bidder's ebay buying history, they're apparently a scrap gold buyer.
At their activity rate, they've probably built up their rating of 394 fairly quickly.
They don't snipe bid, and they do engage in bidding competitions.
Ergo, that bidder is an idiot (or has money to burn), and also may still have an unrealistic
expectation of the overall economics of gold recovery.

Probably best to give up. Also since we've expressed interest to the seller, and piled on
eleven watchers, the chances of the seller now fake bidding the price up are significant.

Guy