PBXes at home

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757.org
Fri Sep 20 13:19:00 CDT 2019

> 5ESS?  Hmmm, you must have a pretty BIG home, no?

Not really, and most of the space is filled with arcade and pinball
machines :-) But it is my understanding that a 5ESS could be widdled down
to two racks. And it's not like I would keep it forever. Apparently the
management platform that used to be a 3B2 runs on a Solaris machine in
emulation now. So something like a Sun Netra T1 can take the place of the
large computer. Only need enough line circuits to run say 32 or 64 analog
loops and maybe some ISDN/T1?

> I've had a tour of a 5ESS and it was QUITE big, like 50K square feet at
> least, not counting the battery room and the cross connect frames, or the
> Solar turbine generator.

True, but don't need rows of racks of modules that drive the subscriber
loops.

--
: Ethan O'Toole