phone systems, old and less-old

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Sep 19 21:06:30 CDT 2019

On 9/19/19 6:37 PM, Kevin Monceaux via cctalk wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 11:23:38AM -0700, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>
>> What's in a name?
>
> Accuracy.
>
>> It looked gray to me.
>
> Me too.  But enough videos that I watched featured individuals who felt
> compelled to emphasize that were telco cables are concerned, the colors are
> violet and slate, not purple and gray, that I'm willing to take their word
> for it.

The problem is that "what's the color slate look like?"  Well, WikiP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slate_gray

More than a bit of amiguity, so I'm going to go with "light slate gray":
CMYK: (60, 43, 34, 4) or HTML 	#778899.  WkiP also notes that there are
many variations of Slate Gray in use; some are a bit more green or blue
than others.

But note that the color name is "Slate GRAY", so calling Ma Bell's color
"gray" isn't an error.  I'll bet peanuts to doughnuts that Ma Bell's
official color isn't exactly any of the cited examples, either.

Same for EIA 598A fiber colors.  You call it "rose".  I call it "pink".

Now, that that's solved, we can move on to "what is the color indigo?"

--Chuck