phone systems, old and less-old

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Thu Sep 19 11:52:09 CDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 06:34:55PM -0700, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:

> You have to be OLD to have used these?  Golly, maybe I really am OLD.

No.  I encountered similar phones at a Service Merchandise I worked at in
the early '90s.  They were connected to some type of early PBX system.  I
wish I knew more about it.

> My grandmother's was 46 (no exchange or dial; rural phone company).

That reminds me of an early Lassie episode.  Lassie was going blind, and
Jeff took her into the city to a human eye doctor.  The doctor asked Jeff
for his phone number.  Jeff replied, "There's no number.  Just one long
ring, two short ... Jenny knows."  Jenny was the Calverton switchboard
operator.

> Anyone collect the old Rolm (IBM) PBX stuff?

No, but if I ever come across any I might.  Having worked in z/OS and AS/400
operations for a couple of decades I've developed a fondness for IBM gear.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.