Data General/Rolm milspec systems

Jeffrey S. Worley technoid6502 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 13:10:45 CDT 2019

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 10:03:54 -0400
From: "Craig M." <cmook1968 at gmail.com>
To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
Subject: ROLM - Dat general 1602 - AN/UYK-19 computers.

Good Morning,
                     Have you ever come across a document called the
"Rolm
I/O Designers Guide?"  I am working with some developers trying to
figure
out the data words and how they work on a Navy AN/UYK-19 computer.

I have some sticktime on the Eclipse machines.  In going to boot camp
getting my MV4000/DC I ran into some interesting characters.  One was
with DG on military sales, was visiting Groton? or another base where a
test was being conducted.  The computer was suspended on wires in a
hangar and, while running, was subjected to simultaneous blows from
heavy pendulums on either side.  The noise was teriffic and my friend
asked the same question, why on earth, to which the cryptic reply was
two words:  Depth Charges.

Probably your USAF machine, corn field kept though it was, was designed
for service in another kind of silo, the missile kind.  Those would be
projected to survive near-direct hits from megaton thermonuclear
weapons.  Not to mention that no air force property is immune from
attack by all sorts of ordinance, nuclear or otherwise.

Best,

Jeff

Another note, saw an old query on the "Rolm Computers: 1602, 1602A,
1602B,
1666, MSExx (was Data General Nova Star Trek)" thread about breaking
down
the military system designations. This website may help if you never
got an
earlier answer:
https://dsm.forecastinternational.com/wordpress/2015/05/27/whats-in-a-name-u-s-department-of-defense-an-nomenclature-made-easy/
Thank you!