OT(?): Emulation XKCD

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Oct 31 20:13:25 CDT 2019

> On Oct 31, 2019, at 6:04 PM, Charles Anthony <charles.unix.pro at gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like you need a copy of Multics Communications Software (MCS).
>
> We have MCS for the 355. MCS for the 6661, not so much, but that document shows that I can lease it for $275 month, but I can't get through to the sales department.
>
> Have you seen the following document?  It appears to touch on some of your questions.
> http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/datapro/communications_processors/C13-480_Honeywell_DATANET_6661.pdf <http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/datapro/communications_processors/C13-480_Honeywell_DATANET_6661.pdf>
>

> Really no point in pursuing a 6661 emulation unless the MCS software can be located.
>
>  — Charles

So to sum it up, you have the software for the 355, and the documentation for the 6661.  That’s rough.  Once again, I find myself wishing more software was preserved and available.

Another obscure Honeywell tidbit, back around ’93 the DPS-6 was emulated on HP-UX systems.  Part of my very limited GCOS-6 experience was helping to migrate from physical hardware, to the emulated systems in January of ’94.

Zane