Yahoo Groups going away

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Wed Oct 23 19:44:52 CDT 2019

On 10/17/2019 6:52 PM, Cameron Kaiser via cctalk wrote:
>>> Yeah, it sucks. The Tomy Tutor users group has been there for years, and I
>>> guess we'll jump over to groups.io. I managed to archive everything last
>>> night.
>> What's your strategy for archiving material off YahooGroups? Their Files and
>> Photo (photostreams) sections are so heavily Javascript-encrusted that it's
>> not at all easy to bulk archive from them. I tried a few tools (httrack, wget,
>> curl) with no valid results, but I only used some basic settings.
> For the messages, I used
>
> 	https://github.com/andrewferguson/YahooGroups-Archiver
>
> Unfortunately, the (rather inadequate) Y!G API for files makes it difficult
> to iterate over files in a directory tree. I ended up manually downloading
> them, since it was only about 30 files and not worth ginning up something
> to scrape them. Some people have used
>
> 	https://github.com/csaftoiu/yahoo-groups-backup
I didn't get that to work.  Has anyone here got suggestions? Contact off
list.  It is getting errors, and I spent about an hour trying to figure
it out.

every issue was a bug in either Python that was unresolved, or the tools
they were using, not errors in the tool, so I'm not really interested in
a lot more debugging.

I suspect it ran at some point, maybe I've got the wrong versions of
some sort.

thanks
Jim