plated wire memory

Nigel Johnson nw.johnson at ieee.org
Sun Oct 20 09:45:27 CDT 2019

I remember an IBM engineer talking about this at our ham radio club. The
wire was coiled inside a drum and pulses were sent down the wire.  The
'read head' was  a magnetic pickup at the other end of the coil - and
access time was however long it took the pulse to arrive at the other
end.  Therefore storage capacity was inversely proportional to data
quantity, however at that time I was working with 660kB Univac FH330
drums for swapping and the 2-ton Fastrand for 164kB of long-term
storage, so it has to be taken in context!

Although the read was actually non-destructive, the pulse had to be
regenerated to go around agaiun.

Is that maybe what you are thinking of?

cheers,

Nigel

--
Nigel Johnson
MSc., MIEEE

Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!

You can reach me by voice on Skype:  TILBURY2591

If time travel ever will be possible, it already is. Ask me again yesterday

This e-mail is not and cannot, by its nature, be confidential. En route from me to you, it will pass across the public Internet, easily readable by any number of system administrators along the way.
    Nigel Johnson <nw.johnson at ieee.org>

Please consider the environment when deciding if you really need to print this message