Yahoo Groups going away

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Thu Oct 17 20:37:56 CDT 2019

On 10/17/2019 6:08 PM, Steve Malikoff via cctalk wrote:
> Cameron said
>> Yeah, it sucks. The Tomy Tutor users group has been there for years, and I
>> guess we'll jump over to groups.io. I managed to archive everything last
>> night.
> What's your strategy for archiving material off YahooGroups? Their Files and
> Photo (photostreams) sections are so heavily Javascript-encrusted that it's
> not at all easy to bulk archive from them. I tried a few tools (httrack, wget,
> curl) with no valid results, but I only used some basic settings.
There is a now obsolete plugin for firefox called "downloadthemall" that
sucks the files down.  I saw elsewhere in the thread there may be
scripts to scrape messages, will look at that.  Downloadthemall sees the
string of crap after the file name, and apparently it comes down with
the correct file contents and file name.  I just downloaded it one
directory at a time, because DTA doesn't do a recursion in any way.

I have an old set of perl code which I used in 2016 to grab several
groups in their entirety, and now need to get from there forward.

The thing that happened pre-Verizon was they rolled out a mangling of
the groups code called "neo" which still remains in the URL. They killed
the original code most tools could scrape groups from by turning off all
but the neo type site.

Grabyahoogroups.pl is the code FWIW that did work.  I'm glad someone
found something if it works with the messages.

thanks
Jim