Nuke Redmond!

corey cohen coreyvcf at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 07:49:38 CDT 2019

Ok the original topic.

I think what screwed the guy selling the 25 cent computer disks is that Microsoft, according to the article ,sells $25 replacement restore disks.  So technically he is counterfeiting a current Microsoft product, the physical restore disk they sell.  The whole argument that there were original disks provided with the system or the software can be downloaded for free is meaningless to the actual case.  Not saying I agree with the law they got him on as there should be some exceptions but facts are the facts.  Btw. This was the first version of the story I read that mentioned that Microsoft sold replacement restore disks to computer refurbish shops themselves.

To put this in another way.   You are allowed to make a personal backup your own stuff.   So for example I own a DVD of raiders of the lost ark, I’m allowed to make a backup for myself.  If I didn’t make a backup or lost the disk but had the packaging/case, you can order replacement disks by contacting paramount by providing your original packaging or damaged DVD.  I have done this in the past.

Now if I made a copy of Raiders for someone else or copied it off a free TV transmission and sold DVDs of that, it would be a crime since there still is a way to buy a replacement DVD or watch/DVR it on free TV when it happens to be on.

Cheers,
Corey

corey cohen
uǝɥoɔ ʎǝɹoɔ