Scanning docs for bitsavers

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Nov 27 06:14:47 CST 2019

    > From: Jay Jaeger

    > CCITT Group 4 lossless compression

That's very good indeed. I scan text pages in B+W at slightly less resolution
(engineering prints I do higher, they need it), but compressed they turn out
to be ~50KB per page, or less - for long documents (e.g. the DOS-11 System
Programmer's Manual), that produces a reasonably-sized file.

    > The software I have been using i[s] Irfanview.

That's what I use too; it has tons of useful features, including being able
to drive my single-sided page-feed scanner and being able to number the
even-sided pages correctly. The one I use for this is the 'batch mode'; I can
do the entire document into CCITT 4 in one operation.

	Noel