The information age

Jim Manley jim.manley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 21:16:42 CST 2019

" ... like to write their own version"

It's a good thing no one else ever wrote their own version of history ...
oh, wait, _everyone_ does that!  They once called it "To the victor goes
the spoils (of victory)."  Jealously will get you nowhere, by the way.
Inferior products and services can only be marketed for so long before end
users find and demand something better, so, anything that lasts more than a
marketing flash in the pan is more likely to be satisfying a real need.

For a long time, IT nerds who were getting payola from certain convicted
monopolists forced end users to suffer with inferior hardware and software,
but, when it came to spending their own money, users found the better
products that weren't hamstrung by a registry, that weren't marketed solely
by comparing meaningless MHz and MBs, that were based on hardware capable
of supporting upwards of half-a-dozen first-digit major version OS upgrades
provided at no additional cost, that were based on close observation of
actual humans using prototypes of next-version products and responding with
improvements based on voluminous user feedback, that were copied endlessly,
but with inferior results, etc., etc., etc.

Estate and garage sales of retired engineers' collections who are
downsizing are lucrative sources of ... sources!

If anyone wants 4004 code, just open up one of those shiny silver or dark
green boxes on a corner of any intersection with a traffic light ...

It's "lawsuit", not "law suite", BTW.  Slingers of code and CAD layouts
have to get every single character and trace absolutely correct.