Question about "Distributed" in the DFT name.

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Mon Nov 18 12:04:14 CST 2019

On 11/18/19 10:37 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
> odd message.. no body..

*facepalm*

Operator error.  -  Multiple messages trying to start a new thread
instead of polluting another thread.

Let's try this again.

On 11/18/19 9:47 AM, Jay Jaeger via cctalk wrote:
> I am no expert on the CUT or DFT protocols.

Does the "Distributed" in "Distributed Function Terminal" refer to /
mean the same thing as the "Distributed" in "Distributed Systems", which
are also known as "Open Systems"?

> first generation displays were very dumb, later generations were
> intelligent and could parse the data stream allowing the creation of
> multiple virtual displays along with graphics. these are the ones with
> a 25th status row

Interesting.

> Ken just wrote a blog post about this trying to defuse the nonsense on
> the web about the reason why terminals are 80 x 25
>
> https://twitter.com/kenshirriff/status/1192497422959665153

I read and enjoyed Ken's article last week.  I found it to be very
informative.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die