Discord

Tony Aiuto tony.aiuto at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 20:43:02 CST 2019

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 11:25:41 -0600
> jwest--- via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> > In addition, mostly as an exercise to see how to do it, I set up a
> > ClassicCMP discord server. That Discord server is NOT meant to
> > replace this list, nor should it be taken to signal any less
> > commitment on my part to keeping this list running. They
> > arehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_video_games
> > fundamentally different things; Discord is great for real time text
> > chat back and forth. There are also audio and video channels if
> > people want to use that to talk verbally or via video. To get on that
> > server, here is a semi-permanent invite: https://discord.gg/U8Skw5g
> > Joining the server gets you to all the other folks who may join the
> > classiccmp discord, not just me. Of course, that could be zero 😊
> > Like I said, I just did it as an exercise, and discord is how some of
> > my family and friends stay in touch. But it is there if peeps want to
> > use it.
>

> > I’d rather not turn this into a long debate of whether discord is
> > good or bad or anything like that. I’m just saying it’s there, and
> > it’s quicker to get ahold of me that way at times.

But debate we must, if only because we are curmudgeons.

I'm not going to debate mail vs. social media. (mail wins for
me any day). The interesting question to me is if decentralized
social media (like discord) makes sense at all. For the uninformed,
anyone can set up a discord server - but the discord identity space
is per server - not per the planet. So I can't say "follow me on discord
at 'tony'.  I have to say 'follow me at discord foo at bar'. And I have
to do that for each discord community. It doesn't scale. Compare it
to Facebook, Twitter, and the others. Once you homestead your
identity, you get it globally. That is a huge win.

What would make the concept OK is if there was a federated
identity system, such that I could post on any discord server with
an identity based on the root one I registered at. This way I could
have a single global identity..