ge first transistors

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Thu Nov 14 11:06:48 CST 2019

On 11/14/2019 09:00 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Julius Edgar Lilienfeld filed a patent in 1925 (US 1745175)
My understanding is he got a single transistor to work ONCE
for a few hours.  Maybe actually he got a couple to work,
but they were very fragile and degraded quickly.  The Bell
Labs guys got their to work for at least weeks and could
make them fairly reliably. Lillienfeld's transistor was a
field effect type, not BJT.  I think the ability in 1947 to
manufacture semiconductor materials and understanding of
doping and other processing was why the Bell Labs guys were
so much more successful.
It was only 5 years before commercial transistorized
products started to appear.

Jon