Question about modems

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed Nov 13 15:16:14 CST 2019

On 11/13/19 1:31 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
> But, stuff like commands to the modem didn't need much of that, and
> needed to be able to communicate in spite of wrong parameters.  It made
> sense for a modem to recognize a command, even with wrong parity, etc.

Okay....

Now I'm thinking that there are really two phases / modes of
communications:  1) computer to modem commands, and 2) computer to
computer via modem connection data.

I think my previous statement applies to #2.  I can see the value in #1
being more liberal in what it recognizes and accepts.

But, I'd still be surprised if the following would work for #2.

[A]---(7E2)---{modem}==={modem}---(8N1)---[B]

Would A and B be able to transfer data between each other with different
(local) settings?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die