OT(?): Emulation XKCD

Stefan Skoglund stefan.skoglund at agj.net
Sun Nov 3 10:14:29 CST 2019

ons 2019-10-30 klockan 16:01 -0700 skrev Zane Healy via cctalk:

> I rebuilt the system recently, and now the error seems
> intermittent.  I will say, that backing up my directory of files, and
> restoring it to the new system was a lot easier than fighting with
> the tape drives we had on the DPS-8 Mainframes I worked with nearly
> 30 years ago (we ran GCOS-8).

My old university had an Pyramid with a normal tape drive - either
way one of my teacher had as his own last year student job being a
system administrator for said machine.

One day he had to restore from backup but finds out that the tape drive
is cranky.

One of his terse comments in the report was:
It is good to fix things immediately when the fault is found - not
waiting until you one day finds out that it is preferable to have said
thing in order.

He had to help the drive start (the drive was sluggish in startup) the
whole evening that day.....