getting your data from yahoo

Richard Schauer rws at ripco.com
Sat Nov 2 09:08:20 CDT 2019

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019, Rich Alderson via cctalk wrote:
> What tool do I use to look at the contents of this verschlagener file?

I also asked for and got one of these files.  Mine took something like 30
hours, and gave me a 584 MB .zip file.  I tried it using a Windows 10
machine, and it consists of directories, each with the name of a group I'm
subscribed to.  Opening each directory, there are one or more .zip files
in it; for example, files.zip, links.zip, and messages.zip are in one I'm
looking at now.  files.zip contains the files without further
complication, with their directory structure from Yahoo maintained.
links.zip contains .url files.  messages.zip contains files of the format
1959542.mbox.00001, 1959542.mbox.00002, 1959542.mbox.00003, etc.  These
seem to be 10 MB (uncompressed) chunks of the concatenated messages, in
plaintext format as email messages.  I haven't tried feeding them to
something like Pine, but it would appear to be compatible.  Email
addresses appear to be intact, with the exception of one group I looked at
with messages back into 1999 (perhaps they started on egroups or
something).  The one thing that does not appear to be there is photos,
unless they were stored as "files."

Overall, it's exactly what I would have hoped to get, with the exception
of the photos.

Richard Schauer