Process accounting - did anyone ever use it?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri May 31 00:57:07 CDT 2019

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 11:30 AM Grant Taylor via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> (Credit the Quotas thread for prompting this.)
>
> Did anyone ever use process accounting?  Did they actually bill
> departments (funny money)?
>
> I was always intrigued by process accounting, but never had a use for it
> myself.
>
> I guess I can thank process accounting for causing the discrepancy that
> Cliff Stole tracked down that became The Cuckoo's Egg.  :-)

I had it enabled on my FreeBSD boxes and got monthly usage stats. I did it
to make sure that there were no weird users with time, and that the typical
usage was "what I expected". Never detected anything amiss with this, and
at some point I retired all those old boxes and with them the monthly
reporting email.

Warner