Network cards and Win98SE

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun May 12 23:17:20 CDT 2019

On 5/12/19 7:33 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> On 5/12/19 6:29 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>> Something else you may want to consider if your 98SE box has a
>> traditional NIC is using a cheap wifi-equipped micro as a network
>> bridge.  I've done that using an Orange Pi Zero and it works very well.
>
> IMHO the OPZ would be functioning as what I think are commonly called
> "gaming adapters".  It functions as the wireless client to connect the
> wired Ethernet client.

Don't know a thing about gaming and never wanted to--wrong generation, I
guess.

In Linux terminology, it's a "bridge connection".   Very simple to set up:

https://wiki.debian.org/BridgeNetworkConnections

You could probably do the same thing with dnsmasq and iptables.

More than one way to skin a cat.

I think there's also a port of ddwrt for the OPZ, so you could also use
that.  A lot more horsepower in any case than the Win98 box (quad-core
1.4GHz ARM, IIRC)

--Chuck