Procedure to convert a vax into a stand alone workstation in a LAN

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Thu May 2 19:14:20 CDT 2019

What version of VMS?  Check the startup file (Systartup_v5.com or
Systartup_vms.com) and see what's going on with the system before you
change anything IYAM.

Using the editor you can comment out networking lines if you want to
disable the DECNET commands.  See if Multinet is installed, that's an easy
way to create a stand-alone VAX that can connect to the internet.

I can turn on my VAXstation 3100 if you want to check it out, I have it set
as microvax3100.vintagecomputer.net but I don't leave it running if not in
use.

Also, make a backup to the backup drive so  you can restore to what it was
originally.

Bill