Modern Rack Rails in Classic Racks?

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu May 2 00:54:38 CDT 2019

> On May 1, 2019, at 10:11 PM, John H. Reinhardt via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Moving from Ohio to Texas in 2017 I gave away two DEC tall racks (36U?).  Rebuilding here in my converted bedroom office I bought an open 4 post rack off Ebay that lists as 27U but has about 29U of usable space (see link at end of email).  The top was meant to be two thick caps tying the two sides together but I'm putting shelf on top for a Compaq TSZ08 reel to reel tape drive.  I've found that rack shelves are an expensive thing.  My main rack was "only" $200 and most shelves were around $100 each.  Then I found this one at Amazon: <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3LZVL8/>  for around $45.  It's solid and sturdy. The shelf itself is 26" deep and the supports are adjustable for racks of different depths.   It's fixed and doesn't slide, however.   It may be what you're looking for.  I haven't found anything better for less.  It's made by the same company that made my rack and now I see I could have gotten it cheaper ($6) from Ebay! Doh! <https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rack-Server-Vented-Shelf-19-Rack-Mount-1U-Adjustable-from-27-31-Shelves/162159828843>
>

> If you're also looking for something to use to mount your Proliant (If you don't have the HP rails) then these are good:
>
> Full Length adjustable Rack Rails: <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C4TDF0G>
>
> Partial Length adjustable Rack Rails: <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XXDLHDA>
>
> They com in single, two and four packs with slight savings the more you buy.  Because of the adjustable nature, they do have some screws which impinge on the roughly 17.5" between the rack rails. I have a few things that fit rather tightly against them but they do flex a bit which allows the item to fit.

Wow, thanks for the links!  Actually thanks to those full length rails you pointed out, check these shelves out.  Cheaper, same exact design, and higher weight rating.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6JQYDG

I like the look of those full length rails for some DEC HW, including an old BA350 or two.

I ended up with a really nice 42U Tripp-Lite rack for $150 tonight.  Missing two of the four side panels, and I managed to break a side-panel latch getting it unloaded, but it actually has the front and back doors.

Well, thanks to Amazon, I’ll have two shelves, a 4 pack of the full length rails, and a Tripp-Lite PDU with surge suppression on Saturday.  Looks like I know what I’m doing this weekend. :-)

Hopefully those rails will work for stuff like a PDP-8/e or a PDP-8/m.  With 42U, I think I can fit everything I *need* in there with plenty of room to spare.  Might be time to finally get some of the cool stuff where I can use it on occasion.

Zane