Byte Magazine

wrcooke at wrcooke.net wrcooke at wrcooke.net
Fri Mar 29 05:57:39 CDT 2019

In a previous thread I asked for a couple of specific pages from Byte magazine, which I got (thanks to all, especially Peter, for helping out!)  But that brings up a bigger issue (no pun intended.)

About a year ago I found the Byte scans on americanradiohistory.org and started reading from the start.  I found that those scans were less than great, with many missing pages, pages out of order, pages scanned at resolutions too low to read, and a few other problems.  I went searching the web for other scans and, with a few exceptions for individual issues, found that ALL the collections of scans seemed to be the same ones, with the same bad pages.

I certainly appreciate the considerable effort of whoever did those scans, but I think Byte is too important to not have good scans available.  Perhaps a project to get those good scans created would be something worthwhile for the members of this list to take on.  I realize what a huge project it is.  Just going through the currently available scans to find which pages are bad or missing is a large and time-consuming effort.  But my opinion is that it is important and worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Will

"He may look dumb but that's just a disguise."  -- Charlie Daniels
"The names of global variables should start with    // "  -- https://isocpp.org