Rainbow 100 PSU capacitor list

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Fri Mar 1 15:35:07 CST 2019

> On Mar 1, 2019, at 7:52 AM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 1:21 PM Alan Perry via cctech
> <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think that I need to re-cap the power supply in a Rainbow 100. Does
>> anyone here know if anyone has put together a list of capacitors used in
>> the power supply that I can use to order parts?
>
> I don't have a list (I just got a pair of Rainbows last month) but
> given the era of manufacture, I'd be looking for Rifa EMI filter caps
> by the power inlet.  I've had those fail in BA23 cabinets and in a
> Commodore D9060 hard drive, and a TRS-80 Model 4.

Thanks. When I first got the Rainbow, I asked here about what to look for before powering it up and was told about Rifa caps and what look/listen for.

I eventually threw caution to the wind and just powered it up and I ran it for 15-20 minutes. The PVA in the monitor was really cloudy, so I didn’t use the system anymore until I removed the PVA over Christmas. I was testing everything after that and the system was booting up when the power all switched off like it had been unplugged.

alan