"half-dollar"/"50 cent piece" Was: Recovering the ROM of an IBM 5100 using OCR

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 05:39:08 CDT 2019

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 at 21:47, Electronics Plus via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Just for fun, I went to the bank and bought about $1000 in half dollar and dollar coins. My son collects them, and we went through them all. We did find some silver half dollars. The ones we are not keeping now go to whatever fast food or corner store is needed. Some like them, some hate them! Most tell me they have not seen them in years.

So they're not made any more? Interesting. Any particular reason? I
wonder if that is why I've never seen one.

US currency is very confusing to me. All the notes seem to be the same
size and colour, so you can't readily sort them. I mean, I know
America doesn't believe in helping people when they're sick, but it
wasn't until I visited that I realised you saved up particular hatred
for the blind and partially-sighted and went out of your way to make
life more difficult for them.

You use nicknames for 2 denominations which most of us foreigners
don't know -- I still don't know which is a "nickel" (which is a metal
to me) and which is a "dime" (which is a Swedish chocolate-covered
sweet bar, of which I'm very fond but can't eat because I'm
overweight).

And the base unit is a cent, but you call them "pennies", the base
unit of _my_ old country's currency, and you didn't even put the
symbol into ASCII.

Very weird.