OT: the end of Dyn DNS

Bill Degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 21:56:40 CDT 2019

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 10:44 PM Charles Dickman via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> > > provider.

I have had my own DNS for 20 years, it's pretty simple stuff.  I have a
master and a slave linux box, used to be freebsd but when I moved it to
Amazon I changed to Fedora I think.  My client pays for it, but that said,
for other DNSing I usually just use Godaddy's DNS, it's easy to use and it
comes with the domain registration service.  Not expensive either.  They
basically leave me alone and I rarely need to do much to it.  Having my own
DNS is more or less just a legacy thing that one of my customers needs,
does not serve me to have one when it's freely provided by godaddy.

So, jumping in late to this conversation, why does it matter that Dyn
and/or Oracle do not supply this service? I may have missed a key point.
It's also easier said than done to set up the DNS I suppose, but if anyone
really needed a temp DNS I could provide it.  Contact me privately.  I can
also take a look at a DNS record for bugs/issues with reverse lookup and
other OT stuff.

Bill