OT: "half-dollar"/"50 cent piece" Was: Recovering the ROM of an IBM 5100 using OCR

Steven M Jones classiccmp at crash.com
Fri Jun 28 15:54:45 CDT 2019

On 06/28/2019 11:11, Alan Perry via cctalk wrote:

>> Canada also replaced the $1- and $2-bill with coins (26.5mm and 28mm, resp.).
>
> Oh, I know. I was questioned by the RCMP for spending a $2 bill that was in my leftover Canadian cash from a previous trip years before.

Two weeks ago I was in London, and had brought my pound notes/coins from
a visit a few years earlier. When trying to buy lunch, the cashier
refused my £10 note since new £5 and £10 notes had been issued over a
year before. I was advised I could change it at a bank...

So the next day I stopped at a Metro Bank outlet on my way to our local
office, but was told they'd only change notes for account holders --
which I can guarantee you I will now never be. But I was told I could go
to the Bank of England and they'd change it. The BoE was probably only
20 minutes away by Tube, but I wasn't trying to turn this exchange into
a side-quest. :^/

I still have the £10 note. In theory I might be able to exchange it by
snail mail, but haven't looked into it yet...

--S.