OT: "half-dollar"/"50 cent piece" Was: Recovering the ROM of an IBM 5100 using OCR

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Fri Jun 28 12:18:23 CDT 2019

On Jun 28, 2019, at 09:57, Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> It is quite rare that you will encounter one.
>
> It was later replaced with the Sacajewa dollar.  Same problem.
> It is quite rare that you will encounter one.
>
> Then there was a commemorative series (gold colored) of presidents of USA. Change of COLOR is NOT ENOUGH.
> It is quite rare that you will encounter one.

It depends on where you are in the country, I guess. Around here (Seattle area) lots of vending machines give out dollar coins when returning change. But, with more vending machines having payment card readers, there is less opportunity to get dollar coins from them.

One big problem with dollar coins is cash trays need to be redesigned for them. Maybe if the US got rid of the penny (like Canada has) there would be somewhere to put dollar coins in a register and they would be used more often.

alan