OT: the end of Dyn DNS

Ali cctalk at ibm51xx.net
Thu Jun 27 09:03:39 CDT 2019

> There has not been a free option for seveal years.  I switched to the
> paid version.
>
> But now it seems that having been eaten by Oracle, it is now being
> digested.  (I have seen this process happen over and over again with
> acquisitions.  The final stage, of selling off whatever is left
> afterwards, is "excretion".)

True that. However, the email I got seems to indicate the service will be
ongoing for a while and speaking from a personal standpoint I paid for a 3
year renewal just a few months back. So unless they are planning on offering
refunds I expect my service to continue for a few more years. By then the
landscape will have changed again.

One issue with the other providers is the lack of integration - at least for
me. On most of the gear I use the DynDns service is a in HW option. So I
don't have to run clients on my clients to update IPs.

-Ali