Teac FD55-GF drives wanted for experiments in reading Twiggy floppies

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 14:23:21 CDT 2019

Is anyone willing to sell me a few Teac FD55-GF or -GFR floppy drives (PC
5.25-in high density) for less than eBay prices? I want to experiment with
modifying them to read Apple Twiggy diskettes, primarily by adding a
microstepping driver for the head positioning.

I specifically want Teac drives because there are reasonably good service
manuals on them, and I don't want to deal with multiple brands of drives.

The handwritten labels on the Twiggy diskettes I recently acquired make it
appear that they were used for prerelease Lisa development. I will be
getting more of them in a few weeks, from the same source.