Connecting LK250 to VAXmate

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 15 12:02:24 CDT 2019

Sorry, yes, I meant RJ like for a telephone. I believe the SDL end may be like an IBM but I don’t know, it is one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_data_link_connector

Regards

Rob

From: Jason T <silent700 at gmail.com>
Sent: 15 June 2019 14:46
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk at classiccmp.org>; robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com; rob at jarratt.me.uk
Subject: Re: Connecting LK250 to VAXmate

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019, 03:28 Rob Jarratt via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org <mailto:cctalk at classiccmp.org> > wrote:

I recently acquired a VAXmate with an LK250 keyboard. The problem is the
keyboard came without the cable. It uses an 8-pin SDL connector and the
usual tiny MMJ-like connector at the keyboard end. I don't know the pinout
and I don't have the necessary crimping tools, is there any source for such
a cable?

Is it actually MMJ, with the offset pin, like a DEC serial cable? Or is it just an RJ connector like a telephone handset?  And is the SDL end the same type as on an IBM model M keyboard?

I have a VAXmate buried in storage. With enough prodding I could dig it out and try to determine the pinout of the cable.