One of the deeper dives into RISC vs CISC I've seen

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Jun 15 10:25:13 CDT 2019

On 6/15/19 7:47 AM, Stefan Skoglund wrote:

> With VAX 11/780 and S/360 involved ? I don't think so soo
> the Cyber series and 709(4) could be interesting.

It's difficult to say exactly, because of the constraints on the
definition.   Or does something have to be RISC only if it came after
the definition?

One of the issues with much older systems is that register memory was
very expensive--and the corollary, of course, is that memory in general
was expensive and a bottleneck.  So, for example, the IBM  7030, with
all of its very advanced architecture, remains out of the picture,
because of its single-accumulator architecture.  I don't think I'd call
a 7090 a RISC architecture, either.

There are plenty of early simple-architecture systems, (e.g. IBM 1130)
that fail to qualify under the RISC definition because of this.

One detail about the CDC 6000 that escapes many people is that there are
no condition codes for branches.   Given a three-address architecture,
there's no "compare" instruction either (absent the CMU add-on).  If you
want to compare, say, registers X1 and X2 for equality, your code might
look like this:

	IX0	X1-X2
	ZR	X0,equal-target

The peculiar advantage of this is that condition codes don't come into
the picture for the purposes of instruction scheduling--one simply uses
the normal result reservation mechanism.  The "compare" (IX0) above, can
be anywhere in the preceding instruction stream before the zero jump.

--Chuck