Plua - Offlist reply (Re: Palm usage was Re: Modems and external dialers.)

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 14:40:29 CDT 2019

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 12:45 PM Cameron Kaiser via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> > > ...I was never a big fan
> > > of PalmOS, TBH. Too limited for me as a former Psion user, and the
> > > Palm devices were always very tied to a PC -- they were meant to be a
> > > way to take your Outlook (or whatever) address book and diary with you
> > > in your pocket.
> >
> > Interesting view of Palm usage that I hadn't considered.
> >
> > > I didn't use Outlook or a desktop PC PIM at all.
> >
> > Nor did I.  When I carried a Palm Pilot every day, I was using UNIX
> > 'mail' for work e-mail and did all local edits of my calendar on the
> > Palm.  I did backup my Palm Pilot, to my Linux Laptop (I still have
> > backups files from 1999 in an archive folder).
>
> Not sure if this counts as "connected" but I used Palm Desktop itself for
> my personal scheduling. I never used my Palms (an m505 and a Zire 72) for
> E-mail, though. It did mostly note-taking, calendar and pharmacy work, and
> some programming (in Plua).

Cameron, how did you like Plua and what did you do with it? I remember
downloading it and running a few very simple things with it. I had been
looking for Python or Ruby at the time, but happened across that and
thought Lua seemed like an interesting language too. Sadly, I never got
around to learning it, though.

(I think my first exposure to Lua was through tomsrtbt, which I ran on an
old Compaq laptop; many of its scripts were in Lua. I think I read that
that let them be compact and still expressive. But after messing with that
system and not knowing my way around the scripts, I forgot about Lua until
I found Plua.)

--
        Eric Christopherson