9-Track Magtape Drive ID

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Sun Jun 2 04:23:16 CDT 2019

Henk said
> Regarding the rubber rings on the hubs of the tape drive, I remember that somebody
> once told that when the rubber tension is weak (because the ring diameter got a bit
> bigger, you can get the ring back to its original shape by putting it in warm water.

I tried this. It didn't work, at all. I had a few sizes of nitrile O-rings I use for
another purpose (micro lathe drive belts) and tried a range, the BS336 as mentioned
worked perfectly. It may perhaps work for other brands of tape unit if the hub pinch
clamp arrangement is the same diameter but that is for someone else to try.

Steve.