Resurrecting integrated circuits by cooking them.

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Sun Jul 28 15:02:15 CDT 2019

This method is not limited to "vintage" components.

My MacBook Pro 2011 fails dues to its (famous) problem with the discrete
AMD GPU connections.   A reflow restores the laptop, but inevitably I
have repeat the process every few months. Depending on who you believe,
the fault is with the A) poor thermal design, b) BGA solder used or C)
bumps on the AMD GPU itself.  The reflow is easy enough to do, but
disconnecting the very fragile cables to remove the motherboard is not
for everyone. Using an inexpensive infrared thermometer improves the the
process.

     Jerry