keycaps / switches for Tek 4006

Jon Elson elson at
Thu Jul 25 21:03:58 CDT 2019

On 07/25/2019 07:40 PM, Fritz Mueller via cctalk wrote:
>> On Jul 25, 2019, at 10:29 AM, Fritz Mueller <fritzm at> wrote:
>> I recently obtained a Tek 4006 from eBay as a repair/restoration project.  It is missing a few keycaps (both SHIFT keycaps, COPY, LINE FEED, and :/*).  In addition, one of the key mechanisms has a broken plunger.  Last, the little green paddle line power toggle power switch at the back appears to be broken.
> After disassembly, I can see the keyboard assembly are marked "Cherry" and part number is B76-07AA.  I'm not enough of a keyboard wonk to know if these are still-mfg'd cherry key mechanisms?
I'm pretty sure Cherry is not still making these keyboards.  
But, there were a HELL of a lot of them made over the 
years.  There were several key switch styles in use - really 
cheap plunger that spreads the contacts apart when up, a 
magnet and reed switch type, a Hall sensor type, and maybe a 
capacitance type.  The key switches should be able to be 
replaced fairly easily.  Special keycaps will be a harder 
problem to solve.


More information about the cctalk mailing list