dBase IV for VAX/VMS (was WordPerfect 5.1+ for VMS)

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Jul 21 15:40:11 CDT 2019

> On Jul 20, 2019, at 8:45 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 7/20/19 2:37 PM, Nigel Johnson via cctalk wrote:
>> I never could figure out why would anybody need dbase IV when RMS was built into the VAX file system?
>
> Compatibility with other dbase files from other platforms that didn't have RMS?

Or because RMS isn't a database?  Even an ISAM file is a very different beast from a database.  Come to think of it, you might deduce this from the fact that DEC built database products on VMS, DBMS (a CODASYL database, whatever that means) as well as RDMS (a relational database, built I think when that concept had just appeared).

	paul