dBase IV for VAX/VMS (was WordPerfect 5.1+ for VMS)

Antonio Carlini a.carlini at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 20 12:20:10 CDT 2019

On 20/07/2019 00:15, Bill Gunshannon via cctalk wrote:
> On 7/19/19 4:04 PM, Zane Healy via cctalk wrote:

>>> I don't know about the earlier versions but I have a copy of dBase IV
>>> for VAX/VMS that's still in the shrink-wrap.
>>> --
>>> Eric Dittman
>> Interesting, so my vague memory was correct.  That means they had WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, and dBase IV available.  Was there All-IN-1 integration?  I think both WordPerfect and Lotus 1-2-3 offered that.
>>
>> There seems to be almost no info online on it.
>>
> I just looked and none of the three were included in the
> VAX Software Source Book.

Lotus 1-2-3 had AL-IN-1 integration (at least that's what the
announcement of it's retirement suggests. It sounds like Lotus developed
and sold it and Digital just advertised it. The retirement happened in 1995.

Back in 1991, all three were available on the VAXstation 4000 VLC:

"VAXstation 4000 VLC

The VAXstation 4000 VLC workstation is the first workstation in the
industry
to break the $3,500 price barrier.  Offering 6.2 SPECmarks (6 VUPs) of
processing power, this system is twice as powerful as the previous entry-
level VAXstation 3100 Model 30 system. This low price and DEC SoftPC V3.0
software (Digital's PC emulator) or native applications, such as Lotus
1-2-3, dBASE IV, or WordPerfect, make the VAXstation 4000 VLC system a
desirable alternative to PCs in the VMS environment. For more information
regarding DEC SoftPC software, see the related article in this issue of
Digital's Customer Update."

I don't see a price anywhere so I can't tell how "low" it really was :-)

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini
antonio at acarlini.com