WordPerfect 5.1+ for VMS

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Jul 18 00:26:34 CDT 2019

> On Jul 17, 2019, at 7:54 PM, Jason T via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2019, 21:50 Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This crossed my radar earlier today.  I figured that someone on the
>> CCTalk mailing list might be interested in it.
>>
>> Link - Vintage 1995 Novell WordPerfect 5.1+ for VMS TK50 Tape Digital
>> DEC VAX
>>  - https://www.ebay.com/itm/133114102939
>

> I have a .tap image of WP 4.2 and 5.0 for VMS that I made from my own tape
> years ago. The image has been  successfully mounted but IIRC the software
> looks for a license key that I've never found. I do not believe it is a PAK
> as with other VMS packages.  I can provide the image on request but I don't
> want a post it publicly.

Without a proper license key, I think the software is useless.  It uses a XXXX-XXXX-XXXX alpha-numeric Checksum.  I think it’s tied in some way to the distribution ID.  They use their own licensing mechanism.

I just checked, I have a copy of the v5.0 “WordPerfect Workbook for VAX/VMS Systems”, I’m pretty sure I had more than just that book, but I’m not sure if I still do.  The other book(s) would likely give info on installation and licensing.

On a related note, was there ever a copy of dBase III or dBase IV for VAX/VMS?  I know there was a version of Lotus 1-2-3.

Zane