5 1/4 diskettes available

Guy Dunphy guykd at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jul 10 23:09:42 CDT 2019

At 07:14 PM 10/07/2019 -0700, you wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Jul 2019, Guy Dunphy via cctalk wrote:
>> And the index hole.
>
>What about it?

Because it's so long since I used any 360K floppies, that I could not
recall if some didn't have any hole. (But I did remember about the soft/hard
sectoring; 1 vs n holes.)
The 82901 specs I have don't mention if it's soft or hard sectored, but a few
diskettes I received with the drive (which are definitely for it) are single hole.

Yes, I knew about Apple disks. http://everist.org/NobLog/20190106_hacked_appleII.htm

>There were some that used 10 or 16 index holes ("hard sectored").  In
>the unlikely event if these happen to be hard sectored, then others will
>gladly take them off your hands..

:) Except I'm in Australia, so they could probably find them cheaper at home.
bgmicro sold at a very reasonable price. For me, most of the cost will be postage.
I send everything via shipito.com in CA (a reshipper) for consistency, tracking, and
significantly lower international rates due to their bulk deals with carriers.

Btw, I didn't deplete bgmicro's stock. They seem to mention on some items when they
have limited stock, and they don't on the floppies. So likely have a LOT of them.

[snip]

>"360K" - 300 Oersted. vs 1.2M 600 Oersted.

Can you believe that is the first time I have ever heard the actual figures for the coatings?
I knew the 1.2M type had a higher coercivity, thus the incompatibility. Ditto with 3.5" 720K
vs 1.44M.

Thanks for the detailed review, and thanks to the others adding more. Saved.

Guy