Lots of Apple 1 computers @ VCF West

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 8 14:59:51 CDT 2019

The value of Apple 1s are clearly a combination of many things. They're about a factor of 500x because they were Apples first product. There is no question about that. Other factors include limited run. The fact that may were turned in for credit to get an Apple II made them even rarer.
Value is what the buyer will pay.
At $600+ they were not attractive to me at the time because at that time, I could get a working, used, S-100 for $400.
Even when the Apple II came out, its limited expansion were not of interest to me.
Apple's hardware design was poor ( the disk system is an example ). Another was blowing out printer interfaces because you tuned them on in the wrong order. Even the selection of the 6502 was based on how cheap one could make a computer for the masses ( not saying that the 6502 wasn't a good design, only that the selection was based on cost, not quality received ).
Rare is not equal to valuable. Rare and desired combine to make value. If I didn't expect to make a profit I'd not personally buy an apple 1 for more than $200. I don't have the funds to buy one at the current rate.  Like many stocks, I personally think it is over valued. I think that some day the value will drop. I couldn't guess as to how much. The only people growing up today that would pay anything like that amount, would only pay that much because they expected to make a profit. It is just an investment. As a museum item, it is interesting.
I do wish I'd bought one when I started. I'd not have it today, though. When the value went over a few tens of thousands, I'm sure I'd have sold it.
All stated, buy me, are just opinions. Done take offense as none was intended.
Dwight