Wtd: advice upcoming visit to Bletchley Park / comp museum

Jack Harper harper at secureoutcomes-hq.com
Sat Jul 6 11:31:06 CDT 2019

Bill,

If I were on such a tight schedule, I would as you say rent a car,
but one-way, from Gatwick - drive that night late to a hotel in
Milton Keynes about five miles north of Bletchley.

About 90 miles Gatwick to Milton Keyes - two hours or so late at night.

Avis has a return site at Milton Keynes.  Leave the car there at Avis.

Thursday morning, I would take a taxi to Bletchley Park - the place opens 0930.

Spend 1.5 hours or some such max at Bletchley - Train back to Gatwick.

I know that you can easily get to London Euston from Bletchley -
trains run about every twenty minutes I recall, but I do not know how
to get to Gatwick from Euston - figure that out.

It would all be very tight, but Bletchley Park is an amazing place to
see and only 1.5 hours there would be better than nothing.

Here is a snap I took of the "Mansion" when there 15 years
ago:  http://frobenius.com/bletchley/bl012.jpg

If I could see only a couple of things:   Hut 8 where Turing used to
do his thing and, of course, the Colossus rebuild.

It is easy to spend two days there, which I did 2004.

Best,

Jack Harper
Evergreen, Colorado USA

At 03:54 AM 7/6/2019, Bill Degnan via cctech wrote:
>Hi...I am arriving at Gatwick Airport this weds evening1045pm and I have a
>17 hour layover.  I'd like to visit the national computer museum at
>bletchley park about an hour north.  I see I can rent a car from the
>airport and drive to a hotel near the  museum.  There are a few hotels with
>24/7 desks.  Concerns?  Total time in England is 17 hours, 8 of which
>needed for sleep, plus travel to and from the airport and museum.  Not sure
>how efficient the car rental return process is, etc.  Need some buffer for
>unknowns
>Thanks in advance
>
>Bill

Jack Harper, President