DecNet / Linux

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Wed Jul 3 16:10:11 CDT 2019

> On Jul 3, 2019, at 2:31 PM, E. Groenenberg via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> On Wed, July 3, 2019 18:52, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
>> On 7/3/19 7:05 AM, E. Groenenberg via cctalk wrote:
>>> Kernel 2.6.32 was the last one to activly support Decnet.
>>
>> What does "actively support" mean?
>>
>> I got DECnet working in 2.6.38 with everything I tested.
>>
>> I got DECnet working to a lesser degree with 3.<something>.
>>
>> (I can boot VMs and get specific versions if people want them.)
>>
>> I'm also happy to test things if people want me to.
>>

>> --
>> Grant. . . .
>> unix || die
>>

> From what I have been able to find out, 2.3.36 was the last 'official'
> release supporting DecNet.
> It's good to hear that later release work fine with it (even if it
> is to some point).
>
> Maybe it was silently maintained by others later on, who knows?

There appears to some editing that’s done to make sure the code still compiles at least. On Raspbian between kernel 4.14 (about a year ago) and today’s kernel 4.19, the timer logic for delayed acks was removed, maybe because it used a kernel API which no longer exists. Unfortunately, the resulting system paniced as soon as one tried to create a logical link. (The removed code probably did change the implementation much since delayed ack is an optional feature in DECnet and Linux only implements a small part of it).

  John.