"half-dollar"/"50 cent piece" Was: Recovering the ROM of an IBM 5100 using OCR

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Mon Jul 1 12:41:32 CDT 2019

On 7/1/19 10:09 AM, William Donzelli via cctalk wrote:
>> Maybe for you. I did a group purchase of tickets for a club I am a
>> member of.  Almost everyone paid me for their tickets paid with checks.
>> I help organize motorsports events; my expenses are reimbursed with checks.
> Paypal seems to be king for this sort of thing around here.

Got one PayPal for the tickets. My daughter does a lot of Venmo.

A few years ago, one of the motorsports events that I help organize used
PayPal. The entry fee was around $1000-2000 (depending on the type of
entry) and I think we got around 50 entries that year. Most of the
competitors pay their entry fee on the last day of the "early entry"
deadline before the price goes up. When that happened, PayPal flagged
the event's account and locked access to the funds in the account. They
kept it locked until after the event was run. There was no reason for
this; the event had been running for almost a decade with no financial
issues. However, there are pre-event expenses that the event has to
cover and, thanks to PayPal, it had no access to the entry fee money for
this. If it were not for member's of the organizing committee loaning
the event money for those expenses, the event would not have happened
that year. So, PayPal (and, by association, any other electronic payment
system) isn't even considered these days.

alan